"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field."

- Niels Henrik David Bohr

Thursday, May 13, 2010

End of Day Journal (5-13-2010)

I finished the day at +$299.20. IB lists 46 trades, making it 23 positions held today.

 First entry was a late short on APC. Exited well. Later had a little bit of an early long and got stopped. It was the right direction. The entry was during the last 15 seconds and the candle was setting up as a small doji. I set the stop just below previous wick. Boom, touched and broke a new low and then proceeded to go on for a 50 tick climb. Thought my next entry was picture perfect as well; after the djoi and it was red. The stop was set on the wick high two candles back and it touched. Wasn't much of a dip, but the stock was behaving very nicely, plenty of time for an exit. Early on the next entry with a short, but the stop held... until it didn't. All the stops were just a little tight (-$11.91) (I will call this 4/4 good entries, stops need to be more generous, averaged about 8 ticks, should set a minimum, for 4/4/ total):


BID on a short entry, after the doji, red and below the previous - and a 15 minute doji. Entered in the first minute of the new. Stopped out about 1/2 a minute later ($-33.56) (1/1 good entry, 5/5 total):


Shorted the new low on BIDU, and stopped out 8 seconds later. Entry was on the 2:40 of the candle. Later entered as it came up for air, the 15 minute was showing a definite downtrend, and the entry was on the 3:36 mark. Exit was on the 4:59 mark - more was on the way - in fact nearly 100 ticks to the very bottom. ($573.25) (2/2 good entries, 7/7 total):


Long on BUCY, this was after the market's search for the bottom late afternoon. Green hammer on the 15 minute, looked set for a turn around. It went up - +19 ticks at th best, then turned around with a vengeance. (-$17.61) (1/1 good entry, 8/8 total):


CSTR looked ready to go back up (entry at 3:44). And it did for about 17 ticks. Then I got stopped with a lot of slip - ouch. I had another trade active or I think I would have caught this. Second was a short with support on the 15 (entry on the 1:50). Late on the exit (-$99.56) (2/2 good entries, 10/10 total):


Shorted DO on the new marker - 11 seconds into it. 15 minute support was a little sketchy, but it was a doji with 5 minutes to go. Stopped out 2 minutes later - again the stop was too tight, should have used the high wick a couple of bars back, it would have been good for a part of 30 ticks, with plenty of time to exit. (-$63.74) (1/1 good entry, 11/11 total):



Went long on JOYG after the Q's and SPY doji'd just off the bottom and were green (4:13 mark). I had been watching it and it was green and retraced, I thought the markets supported the move, but the 15 minute was brand new. Stopped out. A reverse would have been lovely for a part of 80 ticks (-$56.86) (0/1 good entry. Mixed bag on this one, probably should not have relied so much on the market, completely read this one wrong, 11/12 total):


New low on SNDK, coinciding with new lows on the Q's and SPY. Good support on the 15 minute, and entered on the 1:04 mark. Panicky exit as it bounced around, too bad. (+$27.44) (1/1 good entry, 12/13 total):


I changed the parameters on the TDA alert, so that it only triggers on large moves (proportionately, as measured on the current day's high - low). SWN came up and it needed a quick decision. I went short on the 4:55 mark and got it wrong. A reverse would have salvaged some of it (-$42.50) (0/1 good entry, 12/14 total):


Market creeping off the low on what started out to be low volume (but ended up being pretty strong), convinced me to look for something else rising a lot. TNA fit the bill. I shorted on the new mark (0:00) and got stopped out on a stop that was way too generous. I tried to reverse and got stopped out on the previous wick. Went short and caught a bit of the move (-$86.68) (2/3 good entries, excluding the first entry - I should of checked the volume again before entry, 14/17 total):


Shorted V after it looked like it was going to move away from the high (1:07 mark), and a just completed doji on the 15 minute. Stopped and broke a new high. In retrospect probably should have let the candle mature a little before entry - or reversed. Later shorted (a little late) as V broke local S/R with a 15 minute doji (on the 1:01 mark). Late exit (+$59.29) (2/2 good entries, 16/19 total):


Went long on VECO's new low (0:11), it went up for about 5 seconds, then proceeded to hit the stop. Shorted right away and doubled up as it kept going (the scale coming right at the bottom of the candle...). Decent exit then, but I was nervous after it retraced on the second entry (+$134.53) (1/3 good entries; first one was poor, second was the thing to do, scale entry was poorly placed, 17/22 total):


New low on X with good market support (on the 2:35). Stopped out, with the stop poorly placed (-$82.66) (1/1 good entry, 18/23 total):




Decent entries: 18/23 = 78%. Could still use some improvement, but much better.

Tight stops hurt today, I was in the position to capitalize on several entries and missed them when they got stopped out. This was a good trading day and I missed the opportunities.

High profit for the day was something just shy of $500. Only went slightly negative this morning. I felt a lot of pressure to perform and felt stressed. Getting stopped out sent the emotions flaring - I jumped almost every time NT beeped on the stop execution.


Exits - I found myself hoping today rather than reacting to the market. Waiting 5 minutes for a candle to play out can feel like an eternity.

End of day and I am frustrated. I felt on edge most of the day, trying to perform.This afternoon especially and I think it affected my trading (VECO and TNA entries). 

I thought I was over being worried about taking losses - but who was I kidding. After Monday - then Tuesday - then blowing quite a bit of the SY profit on poor executions is exhausting. And only 4.5 hours of sleep most of this week. With no naps. I think I am due.

But still, my entries are much more controlled and thought out. Today would have been a run away day if I would have been on top of my game - and if I would have left the emotions at the door.

Best of luck tomorrow!

6 comments:

  1. Hey man, just one more day until the weekend! I can tell you will eventually be successful beyond your dreams simply because of how many records you keep. Keep jotting those emotions down and get them out of your system!

    Come join me and Joshua on skype during the day, we can keep each other grounded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words!

    Yeah - I need to figure this skype thing out. I might check in over break time tomorrow. How did your day go? I feel much better after a 2 hour nap. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you need to sleep...alot more. i love seeing the different views on BIDU. i was thinking long at day lows, but was wrong. i just keep seeing them bounce off the lows and i thought it would go up. that was a beautiful entry on CSTR. i was buying X around 3pm thinking they would bounce the markets, oops.

    i really need to pay attention to the first swing high/low. again, it was an inside day until 3pm when the market broke down. that is the time to get heavy. i just see the red bars and i think, how much lower, but like scott says no one knows.

    there was a 12pm low that you could have also shorted but there they bounced it.

    i hate fridays. i will have nothing to do all weekend. it drives me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Decent man, missed out on the afternoon move, which urked me, but it happens ya know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fozz: thanks for the advice brother! My sleeping habits are atrocious. I am actually caffeine free now for one week to try and break myself in. Hasn't seemed to work very well yet =/

    I wish I could relate re. the weekends... 4 boys keeps us hopping =) Looking forward to this Saturday, nothing much going on for once lol.

    Enjoy this respite from the oncoming heat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. DTF: Great job on the blog. I love the level of detail! Something I'll need to aspire to for my own records! I'm adding you to my regular read list. It's great to meet other guys trying to make this daytrading thing work!

    ReplyDelete