"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field."

- Niels Henrik David Bohr

Thursday, January 7, 2010

End of day journal (1/07/2010)

Whoot! 4 days in a row!! What is going on here? At this rate I will actually make first week challenge goals - go figure! Lower expectations, lower expectations...

Selling:


I sold out of the remaining position, at the price I was trying to get yesterday; as it happened, I got the early morning jump, which ended up being the high for the day.

Buying:


Several stocks passed the day's screener criteria. One popped up early in the day, and with the substantial volumes (~33% of 30-day average) I went ahead and bought in. The remaining 3 were still at low volumes by end of day, so I stayed away.

What ifs:


The high for the day on the new position came within 2 pennies of my sell - which would have realized a >5% return. Greedy? Maybe, but I have also found myself selling too quickly on similar action. And looking at the historical data, strong starts tend to bode well:


(%Gains on stocks with a higher than 3% gain on first day)

Based on the change in price from the day a stock meets the buy criteria, most stocks realizing a larger than 3% gain on the first day go on to higher gains. For the past two months, I have tended to sell early, I think I will try to wait on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment