"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field."

- Niels Henrik David Bohr

Thursday, January 21, 2010

End of day journal (1-21-2010)

Another bummer of a day. The portfolio did surprisingly well - barring one breaking of a rule on my part.

Selling:
One position that I had been holding since the beginning of the week hit my sell point and I came away with a nice $720 gross. This is a position that I had doubled up on yesterday. I was watching another stock that had appeared on the screener early in the day, was bumped off, then back on. This was still early in the day with good volumes. I watched it hit the high (I could have realized a +$0.64 gain), and drop back down. I bought on the re-bounce - only to have it move slightly up and down the rest of the day. I sold the position for a $1.84 loss. I bought way too early - against my own rules, especially on a day like today, which was already reflected in the DOW being down some 100 points at the time of purchase.

Buying:
The a fore mentioned round trip, and also doubled up on another position that was down for the day, lowering the basis. Same one I doubled up on yesterday.

What ifs:
I had another position that came very close to the sell; in retrospect, it may have been a good idea to get out of. The stock closed higher for the day, but this market has me a little on edge.

Another position (that I missed selling several days ago) took a significant hit. down some 9.56% on this one and I have doubled up twice. Could have sold at the beginning of the day for only a slight total loss. This stock is below $5, which is even more cause for concern.

Hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment